Tuesday 17 August 2010

Buriram to Nang Rong and Phanom Rung

Added to the list of places to visit.
Darkest Isan (where decent thais fear to tread), Part Three
Thailand's greatest ancient monument, the 900 year old Khmer temple complex sitting on top of a volcano with a panoramic view stretching to Cambodia's plains and mountains.
After Buriram where watching paint dry is better than the town's day life (don't mention nightlife) tiny Nang Rung with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever is a step up in the world. If the word ugly could drawn, planned, paid for, a gang of labourers hired to build it and me forced to go there to see it, it would be called Nang Rung, and I'd still be there going thank God I'm here not in Buriram anymore.
Nang Rong will forever have a special place in my heart reserved for it. You may find this hard to believe but it was the place for the very first time (not wearing a crash helmet) I drove my motorcycle the wrong way up an eight lane highway then mounted the pavement zigzagging in and out of pedestrians and parked outside the 7/11 to buy a beer, previously having drunk two, and all this after missing a U-Turn spot. This manoeuvre is of course part of the traffic police's driving test and, I'm also pretty sure it fulfils section 'A' of the Thai citizenship test too.
Read more at www.thai-blogs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment