Following on from last Fridays post re QOQ Up, BigBabyKenny has written a far more eloquent, (and lengthy), article on the subject at The FARANG Speaks Too Much suggesting that this could well be the "golden age of the Thailand girl scene". His point is that although tourist numbers have stagnated and the businesses that employ the girls are hurting, for customers at least conditions are "ideal and couldn't be better".
As a punter I enjoyed the following part of his article the most.
The bar business is showing the normal characteristics of a declining or stagnant industry — the weakest or marginal operators are the first to go out of business. You can see this in
Nana where the worst run bars and Go-Go’s are closing up shop. Personally, I view these developments as a big plus. It is simple supply and demand.
As a customer in the Bangkok girl market (this encompasses not only beer bars and Go-Go’s, but also the freelancer market, and the general dating scene in Thailand) the drop in demand has got to lead to a drop in prices.
More girls and fewer farangs spending less inevitably means lower prices and more abundant higher quality product for the farangs that do travel to Thailand with money in their pockets. The Thailand girl scene is as good for farangs, as opposed to the businesses that supply us, as it ever was and probably ever will be in our lifetimes.
In fact, right now might be the best years ever to be a farang in Thailand.
Lots of TG’s milling around with very few farangs to entertain them–with bars and Go-Go’s full of desperate needy TG’s but no customers. I doubt we will see such ideal conditions ever
again. These are the years that will be written about in the distant future as The Golden Age for Farangs in the Thailand Girl Scene.
Strangely the lower demand has led to some girls in Pattaya asking for more not less. Their logic seems to be that if they can't have 2 at a 1,000Baht, they'll have 1 for 2,000Baht.
The crazy thing is, they're getting it.
My personal take on all this is it is the resident farangs who benefit most from this scenario. Sure visitors benefit too but not to the same degree as residents. Residents get to know the girls over time and this familiarity leads to some interesting propositions from the girls when things are quiet. The last time I was out, a girl a pal of mine has cuddled up to a couple of times told him he could call round to her room in the afternoons any time he wanted for more of the same. The girl in question is not good looking, she's effing stunning. My chin was dragging on the floor. I doubt visitors get the same benefits.
I've got writer's block now thinking of my pal and his afternoon visits. I can't get the vision of the girl with her kit off out of my mind. Oh oh, just visualised my mates arse and I'm back on it. Words flowing like diarrhea......
As always, if you have an opinion, please send it to me at email@example.com
- It's the annual Catz Go Go Open Golf Tourney tomorrow, Thursday, with a party held in Catz afterwards. All are welcome. There's be the usual sacrificial pig, steak and kidney and cottage pies from Bob Palmer's, sausages, tandoori chicken, coleslaw, home-made potato salad and garlic bread on offer from around 8.30pm.
- Rumour has it that Insomnia Gentleman's Club in Soi Diamond has ST rooms upstairs. So there'll be no insomnia, no gentleman and nobody in the club!
- Pattaya police impose fireworks ban for Loy Kratong
- If you’ve ever wanted a simple, free solution to backing up your files online then ‘Backup to Email’ (BTE) is for you. BTE is a great piece freeware which simplifies everything. Just right click any file or folder, and select ‘Backup to Email’. That’s it!
One thing I love about BTE is that it’s incredibly intuitive. Here are some examples:
- If you choose to upload a folder, the folder will be automatically zipped and backed up.
- No limit on file / folder size. Files/folders larger than 10MB will automatically be split to slices of 10MB, so your email can cope. When you download the split files, you can easily join them up again with a feature that comes with BTE.
- Easily manage of multiple email accounts to backup to
- If the connection is disconnected at the middle of a file transfer, it initiates an auto-retry every 2 minutes
Tip: Configure a Yahoo email account as your default backup account. While Gmail currently offers more than 4.7Gigs of storage space, Yahoo Mail now offers unlimited space. [via Friedbeef's Tech]
Ed. Given the upload speeds for many in Thailand are poor, I would only use this option for small files or if I was traveling and needed to backup some important documents.
If you are not on the move and don't need your backups online then I would recommend you buy an external hard drive and use that for your main backups. Your first backup should be a full backup and then on a weekly basis you could hook up your external drive to your PC and use a backup utility like Microsoft Synctoy to backup changes since last backup, not do a full backup every time. Between backups, you should keep your external drive in a safe, secure place away from your main PC. Basic stuff I know but call it condom security, i.e. better to be safe than sorry.
- From today Microsoft will allow you to create @live.com email accounts, now that most of the Windows Live applications are out of beta. Because there aren't too many registered accounts and you can create accounts at many international domains, it's likely you'll find a good email address. An interesting new features lets you link a main Windows Live account with other secondary accounts and use a single login to access all your accounts. At the top of the page, next to your email address, there's an arrow that hides a list of your linked accounts.