Thailand is hunting the assets of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's children after they failed to pay $355 million in taxes and fines relating to the sale of the family empire, a tax official said on Wednesday.
The Revenue Department has sent letters to banks and financial firms searching for assets belonging to Thaksin's son and daughter, Phantongtae and Pinthongta, said Sanit Rangnoy, the head of the department.
"We expect to be able to seize those assets from those financial institutions from early December," Sanit told Reuters.
The deadline for the 12 billion baht ($355 million) back tax and fine payments had passed, allowing tax officials to start the seizure, Sanit said.
Ed. Just in time for the funds to be refunded by a newly elected PPP government......
- Irene Sketch One - it's a skit with a basis in fact - the fact being how many in England view an aging farang with a young Thai wife but who gives a sh*t. In the words of the Great Robbie, "Live the dream".
- If you are thinking of going from Pattaya to Hua Hin by bus via the new Sai Tai Southern Bus Terminal, then read thaibeachlovers take on the journey. If nothing else, take your own bog roll.......
- TV Pool Top 10 beautiful Thai actresses on YouTube [via Asian Sweetheart]
- Bus crashes into a row of vehicles; one foreigner dead; many injured - A school bus, with young girl and boy scouts, lost control and crashed into a row of cars at 11.30 AM, today, (Nov 21), at a traffic light junction on Sukhumvit road, km 1, routing Sattahip-Rayong. One foreigner, Mr. Michael J Fearon aged 62 from the USA, was instantly killed. His wife had sustained severe injuries and many other Thais were injured. Fortunately, all students were safe but very frightened. The bus driver ran away.
- Software Updated in the last week [via gHacks] :
- µTorrent 1.8 Build 6171 Alpha - one of the most popular torrent clients.
- Azureus 126.96.36.199 Beta 13 - another popular Bittorrent client which requires Java.
- Buddi 188.8.131.52 RC1 - a personal budgeting software.
- DVDFab HD Decrypter 184.108.40.206 - copy DVDs to the hard drive and remove the protections in the process.
- FileZilla 3.0.4 RC1 - a popular ftp client.
- foobar2000 0.9.5 Beta 4 - a flexible music player with some nice features supporting lots of music formats.
- MediaCoder 0.6.0.3980 - a free media batch encoder
- Mp3tag 2.39f Beta - a great mp3 tagger.
- OpenOffice 2.3.1 RC1 - the Open Source replacement for Microsoft Office.
- Opera 9.50 Build 9656 Alpha - a new version of the great Opera browser now with MathML support.
- Paint.NET (Beta) 3.20 Beta 1 - I do prefer to use GIMP but Paint.net is a solid alternative if you are looking for an image editor.
- Recuva 1.08.174 - a file recovery software.
- RetroShare for Windows 0.3.52a - a private P2P client.
- SIW 1.72 Build 637 - System Information for Windows. Displays lots of information about installed hardware.
- SMPlayer 0.5.62 alpha - my media player of choice, plays almost everything right out of the box without the need to fiddle around with codecs.
- SparkleXP 0.4 - a Windows optimizer and tweaker.
- Spybot Search and Destroy 220.127.116.11 Beta 2 - scans your system for spyware and adware.
- Sysinternals Suite Build 11/19/07 - a collection of Sysinternals tools containing some of the most useful Windows applications such as Autoruns and Process Explorer.
- Tor 0.2.0.12 Alpha - Tor is an anonymity network that protects your identity from prying eyes.
- UpdateStar 1.1.206 Beta - scans your computer for installed software and checks if an update is available for it.
- vLite 1.1 Beta 2 - get rid of unwanted Windows Vista components before installing the operating system.
- WinMerge 18.104.22.168 Experimental - compares and merges documents in an editor with syntax highlighting.
- XdN Tweaker 0.8.8.5 - tweak Window with this software.
- YamiPod for Windows 1.7 - manage your iPod with Yamipod instead of iTunes.
Every day, a male co-worker walks up very close to a lady at the coffee machine, inhales a big breath of air, and tells her that her hair smells nice. After a week of this, she can't stand it anymore, takes her complaint to a supervisor in the personnel department and asks to file a sexual harassment grievance against him. The Human Resources supervisor is puzzled and asks: "What's sexually threatening about a co-worker telling you your hair smells nice?" The woman replies, "It's Keith. The midget."
A guy has a parrot that can sing and speak beautifully. He takes it to the synagogue on Rosh Hashonah and makes a wager that the bird can conduct the High Holiday service better than the temple’s cantor. When the big moment comes, though, the parrot is silent. The guy is outraged. He takes the bird home and is about to kill it when the bird finally speaks: “Schmuck! Think of the odds we’ll get on Yom Kippur!”