Last night, Walking Street was as busy as I've seen it in years. It was like trying to walk in to Old Trafford at the final whistle. Well, maybe more like trying to walk in to Trafford Industrial Park at 5.00pm but I think you get the general idea. Okay, they're not all bar hoppers but it was still good to see. For sure a good number are seeking company because the stars-in-the-bars are all AWOL, (away with old lechers). Many of my favs from places like Happy and Peppermint are missing and although there is still more than enough talent to go around, it's still not quite the same when you know what's missing.
Paid my second visit to Insomnia Gentleman's Club and this time paid more attention to the Mile High Rooms off the upper bar. The rooms are small and when I say small, I mean swing-a-cat small. I reckon if you have more than 7" you won't have enough room to reverse out. The other thing is they are only separated from the bar by a partition so if you get a screamer, the whole bar will share your special moment. If you scream, well just forget it. Your mates will be taking the pith out of you for years to come. Both bars were pretty quiet when I was there so I'm not sure how well received this new concept is. I like it but that doesn't guarantee it success unfortunately.
Went in to Baby Dolls, Soi 15 and it was bouncing and this really is a 'full on' sort of place. Not the sort of place for shy, reserved types. The bar attracts more than it's fair share of coffin dodgers and I suspect this has something to do with the audience participation type entertainment on offer. From what I could see it looked like an outing for a coach load of retired gynecologists. It has more staff every time I go in so obviously the girls are up for it too.
Peppermint was so busy with punters we could only get seats by the entrance. This when it appears to be running with just one third of the staff of a month ago.
Heaven's Above was very quiet and very short on quality. Again it might just be a case of bad timing but to me it looks nothing like the bar of old, staff wise.
- Insomnia Club, Soi Marine is holding it's First Anniversary Party at 1.00am, Saturday morning. I don't think the place gets going till much later but it's a party night so you never know. Drinks 50% off for VIP card holders with the exception of Ladies Drinks.
- Misty's Go Go, Soi Pattayaland 2 is having a party Friday, Nov 23
- Bangkok nightlife tip from The FARANG Speaks Too Much - After hours time so over to Spice Club on Suk Soi 11, (basement Ambassador Hotel). It was around 2am and this place was already 70% full on a weekday night, amazing. It continued to jump until around 5:00am when I left. They close at 6am pretty consistently now. I have to say that this place is now the number one After Hours destination (except on Fri and Sat when it’s just too packed and too many guys). High energy and loaded with puss they are cranking on all cylinders.
- Learning Thai The Easy Way - If it were easy, we'd all be fluent.........
- Loy Kratong Food Festival starts on Walking Street on Friday evening and runs through to Sunday.
- The Thai government will present a five-night firework festival in Bangkok and Rayong province to celebrate HM the King's 80th birthday anniversary, PM's Office Minister Khunying Dhipavadee Meksawan said on Thursday. The firework festival tit
- December 4 at the Royal Turf Club (or Nang Lerng Horse Race Course)
- December 5, magnificent firework displays would be held on the Chao Phraya River's near the Rama 9 Bridge
- December 6, at the Royal Bangkok Sports Club on Henry Dunant Road
- December 7. spectacular fireworks will be featured Mae Pim beachfront in Rayong province.
- December 8, the fireworks of the title name will be displayed above Bangkok's Benchakiti Park and the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center.
- I've used Comodo Firewall Pro software ever since it came near the top of a league table of best performing firewalls. Not only did it come near the top of the table, it's free.
Comodo have now released a new version which pulls out all the stops bringing full support for both XP and Vista 32-bit and 64-bit versions! After playing with this for a few hours I would have to say that they did it again … they created another amazing firewall that has won my heart, and my computer.
Clean PC Mode - This feature takes a profile of a new PC and all the applications in it and registers them as safe. Then, any new application trying to gain access to a computer will be denied access to the PC unless the user expressly permits it since it is assumed to be potentially unsafe. This feature prevents most types of malware and rootkits from getting installed and keeps a new PC virus and malware free.
Defense+ Host Intrusion Prevention System - Defense+ is one of the most advanced Host Intrusion Prevention Systems available in any desktop security program. This new addition helps to secure desktops and servers against rootkits, inter-process memory injections, key-loggers and more.
Advanced Network Firewall Engine - New features such as Stealth Mode to make your PC completely invisible to opportunistic port scans; Wizard based auto-detection of trusted zones; Password protection of firewall settings; Diagnostics to analyze your system for potential conflicts with the firewall and much more.
Security rules interface - Users can quickly set granular Internet access rights and privileges on a global or per application basis using the flexible and easy to understand GUI. This version also sees the introduction of pre-set security policies which allow you to deploy a sophisticated hierarchy of firewall rules with a couple of mouse clicks.
Training Mode - By selecting ‘Train with Safe Mode’, the firewall will learn how your trusted applications work and silently create rules for them.
Application Recognition Database - Includes a proprietary and continually updated white list of nearly 1,000,000 safe executables. The integrity of every executable is checked against this database to determine whether or not it is genuine before it allows it installation rights. Firewall Pro will alert users of potentially damaging applications before they are installed.
During normal use of my computer Comodo only consumes 3.5MB of my memory, which is amazing when you compare that to some of the other firewalls out there. And I ran several bandwidth tests both with and without the firewall enabled, and I came to the conclusion that the firewall had very little effect on the speed of my Internet.
At first I wasn’t too sure about the redesigned interface, but it is definitely starting to grow on me. The old one was much more vibrant and lively, but the new one makes Comodo feel more like a professional app. And the popup alerts will surely grab your attention.
Personally I’m the type of user that prefers to see what Comodo is doing, and I want to see any alerts that it feels would be good for me to scan. When finishing up the Comodo setup process it will ask whether you want to run the advanced firewall filled with all of the alert goodness, or whether you just want the basic protection where it does most of the authorization itself. If you’re installing this for someone else who isn’t tech-savvy I recommend sticking to the basic mode so that they aren’t bombarded with popups that they don’t understand. [via Cybernet]
Warning: For users of Vista and Avast! antivirus, there seems to be a critical issue with Avast! that prevents Vista from loading at startup and in order to uninstall Comodo you’ll need to boot into safe mode. Updating to the latest version of Avast! will help ensure that Vista can load properly, but the startup time will be significantly longer than normal. For a status update on this issue keep your eyes peeled on this post in the Comodo forum.
- After England's defeat to Croatia last night the England manager, Steve McClaren, the wally with the brolly, was heard to say, "I'll get my croat".
- Actual crack in a US Airways DC-9 window frame! Fliers beware of the sub-standard maintenance on the airplanes that you fly on. This is an actual crack that was found in the window frame on a DC-9. I'll definitely think twice before flying USAir. Check out the alarming photo here
- A 45 year old woman, Edna, had a heart attack and was taken to the hospital. While on the operating table she had a near death experience. Seeing God she asked "Is my time up?" God said, "No, you have another 43 years, 2 months and 8 days to live." Upon recovery, Edna decided to stay in the hospital and have a face-lift, liposuction, breast implants and a tummy tuck. She even had someone come in and change her hair colour and brighten her teeth! The full package and since she had so much more time to live, she figured she might as well make the most of it. After her last operation, she was released from the hospital but, while crossing the street on her way home, she was run over by an ambulance and killed. Arriving in front of God, she demanded, "I thought you said I had another 43 years? Why didn't you pull me from out of the path of the ambulance?" God replied:"Sorry, Edna, I didn't recognise you !!"