Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratkalin on Thursday denied speculation that the upcoming general election may be postponed. "That's impossible," Gen Sonthi told reporters. "There are no factors that will cause the postponement of the election."
He said he is confident the voter turnout will meet 70% as expected by authorities, adding that he believes the government's recent announcement that Dec 24 be listed as a national holiday will not cause voters to travel. The cabinet announced that Christmas eve be a holiday to encourage voters who work outside their hometowns to vote on Dec 23.
Gen Sonthi also commented that Election Commission, which has been criticised as not yet ready to hold polls, should try its best to organise a fair election. [via Bangkok Post]
- The British government Wednesday outlined details of a points-based system to "manage" immigration from outside the European Union (EU) under which unskilled workers would have little chance of entering Britain and spouses would have to pass an English language test. Under the proposals, expected to come into force next year, the minimum age at which people can come to Britain for marriage will be raised from 18 to 21. [via Bangkok Post]
Ed. The days of taking home a Thai Lolita are surely numbered......
- It's not just you mongers - a sexually aroused elephant caused some problems at the Pattaya Elephant Village on Thursday Morning. The elephants master, Khun Soopit aged 67 escaped injury after his 50 year old elephant which he has taken care of for two years, suddenly became violent and appeared in a sexually aroused state. [via Pattaya City News]
Ed. I hope they're not implying the elephant fancied his handler. I mean a dog hanging off your leg is one thing but a feckin' elephant is an image I'm having trouble getting my head round.......
- The 24th South East Asian Games boating events opened at Maprachan Reservoir this morning. For more information on the events taking place in the Pattaya area please log on to www.2007seagames.com
- Buffalo Bar, Third Road, have updated their web site with mug shots of new staff members. Worrth a look, worth a visit.
- Outlet Mall on Sukhumvit and Theppasit have opened Outlet Village in the same location which will only sell major brands with the outlets being operated by the brand owners themselves, selling original items at factory prices. Sounds almost too good to be true.
- The Czech Republic and Holland in Europe as well as Egypt and Thailand in Asia rank first in sex tourism. Egypt attracts young girls and middle-aged housewives whose only desire is to have violent and non-committal love affairs. Thailand, in its turn, is real Eden for men. It is a country of very low prices (one U.S. dollars equals 40 Thai bahts) and women of easy virtue. Money determines everything there.
A foreign man can do whatever he wants with Thai women: use her for several minutes or for his entire holidays, stay with her in a special room or take her to a cheap hotel, and so on. If you want to know the price, do not be surprised to hear: “Up to you”. Read the full article at Pravda Online
- Make simple audio edits with Wavosaur - It's no secret we're a fan of the free, open source, cross-platform audio editor Audacity for most editing needs, but anyone looking for a lighter-weight, portable editor might do well by free application Wavosaur application. Running from one file that's less than 1MB, Wavosaur can perform most basic cuts, effects, and encoding tasks, as well as handle MP3s without requiring a plugin. If you can't fit Audacity and the rest of the Portable Apps Suite onto your thumb drive, Wavosaur could make for a worthwhile tool. Wavosaur is a free download, works on Windows systems only. [via Download Squad]
- This is a rack to end all racks......... Benzadeus. More tomorrow with Loaded's Globe Awards....
- The boys at Sports Illustrated look to have been enjoying themselves for 2008's swimsuit edition with sports illustrated 1 and sports illustrated 2
- Gemma Atkinson - Why? well it's a slow news day..... and besides, who needs an excuse.
- Queen Elizabeth and Dolly Parton died on the same day, and when they fronted up to St Peter he told them there was only one space left that day and they’d have to argue their respective cases.
Dolly ripped off her top and said, “These are the most perfect breasts God ever created, and I’m sure it will please him greatly to be able to gaze upon them for eternity.”
Queen Elizabeth said nothing, but reefed up her skirt, pulled down her undies, shook up a bottle of Perrier she had in her handbag and douched her **** with it.
St Peter nodded and let the Queen through.
“What the **** is all that about?” yelled Dolly. “I show you two of God’s greatest achievements, she performs a disgusting act and you let her in?”
“Sorry, Dolly,” said St Peter, “but a royal flush beats a pair every time.”