Pattaya residents have been advised to prepare water reserve tanks for consumption during the dry season, and City Hall is preparing for the probably inevitable drought by surveying and repairing existing public storage facilities. [via Pattaya Mail]
There will be no post on Sunday Feb 17 so my next post will be late in the day, Monday Feb 18, Thai time.
- At 6.30am this morning, (Feb 16), an American was attacked by two 'volunteer policemen' and a group of teenagers on Pattaya Beach opposite Soi Yamoto. For more details go to Pattaya Daily News
- Pattaya Mail is reporting that the new highway in to Pattaya from the Regent's School has reached Sukhumvit but is unlikely to be finished anytime soon due to land appropriation problems
- Two Russian tourists spend a night at sea when their jet-ski ran out of fuel [Pattaya Mail]
Ed. You'd have thought the the jet-ski operator would have been concerned about his missing jet-ski. Surely, he would have raised the alarm with somebody that a jet-ski and two tourists were missing. Something not right here.
- 7 Apps to make the most of TORRENTs
Torrents are by far the most popular form of file sharing. People use them to download music, movies, software, books, games etc. In case you’re new to this then go straight to our mini tutotrial at the end of the post. As for all others, I would like to introduce you to a number of coolest torrent tools out there.
(1) YouTorrent / PizzaTorrent - The only torrent search engines you will ever need. Both of them let you search for torrents on several popular torrent sources simultaneously (Mininova, The Pirate Bay, IsoHunt etc.) Search results can be sorted by various criteria, i.e. file size, number of seeds, peers and category (Pizzatorrent only).
TORRENT CLIENTS (DOWNLOADERS)
(2) Bitlet - Bitlet is a web-based torrent client that make it easy to download torrents in places where you can’t install your own programs (work, college labs etc.)
(3) uTorrent (Windows) - Tiny, fast, user-friendly and extremely popular torrent client. Probably the best torrent client for Windows PCs. Suitable both for beginners and advanced users.
(4) TransmissionBT (Mac, Linux) - An equally good resource-friendly torrent client for Mac and Linux users. Simple, intuitive and absolutelly free.
GET YOUR OWN INTERNET TIVO
(5) TED - TED stands for ‘Torrent Episode Downloader’. This small cross-platform (Win, Mac, Linux) program can monitor your favorite TV shows and automatically download new episodes as soon as they hit web. It comes with a list of predefined TV shows, in case your favorite shows are missing you can add them manually. To add a new show you’ll need an RSS feed for it and below mentioned tvRSS is the place to get them.
(6) TVshows - Similar to the ‘Torrent Episode Downloader’ but works only on Mac’s.
(7) tvRSS - tvRSS lets you create custom torrent RSS feeds for any available TV show. You can even customize feeds by episode quality, i.e. HDTV, DSR etc.
Torrents mini-tutorial: What? How?
Before you can start downloading torrents you need to install a torrent client (see above).
Once the client is installed, go to one of the torrent search sites (see above) and search for whatever you want to download.
Click on the desired search result and you will be redirected to the torrent page.
Click on the ‘Download this torrent’ link and save it to your PC
Start your torrent client (step 1) and drag’n drop downloaded torrent file on top of it.
Press Confirm / OK to start downloading the file.
- Bloatware is everywhere. New computers have them pre-installed. A lot of applications come with other trial software that just take up space on your hard drive. You’re not going to use these so why not get rid of them? Let me guess, you don’t want to waste time looking for each and every piece of trial software right?
If you don’t want to uninstall all that bloatware one by one there’s a much easier way. PC Decrapifier is a free app for Windows XP and Vista that is designed to remove the more common trial and promotional software. Think AOL, Quicken, trial versions of Corel, and you’ve got the idea.
What’s great about this tool, is that you don’t even have to install it. You can run it from a USB drive if you want. The application will provide you with a list. All you have to do is select what you want uninstalled. It’s that easy.
If you want to know what applications it can remove, the site has a list of trialware that it currently targets.
PC Decrapifier also lets you set a restore point just to be safe. A free app that’s only 519 KB? Sounds good to me. [via Connected Internet]
- Myo Ling is Playmate of the Month for Playboy Netherlands.
- Two Aussie builders (Phil and Eric) are seated either side of a table in a rough pub when a well-dressed man enters, orders a beer and sits on a stool at the bar. The two builders start to speculate about the occupation of the suit.
Phil: - I reckon he's an accountant.
Eric: - Nah. I reckon he's a stockbroker.
Phil: - No way. A stockbroker wouldn't come in here!
The argument repeats itself for some time until the volume of beer gets the better of Phil and he makes for the toilet. On entering the toilet he sees that the suit is standing at a urinal. Curiosity and the several beers get the better of the builder.
Phil: - 'Scuse me mate. No offence but me and me mate were wondering what you do for a living?
Suit: - No offence taken. I'm a Logical Scientist by profession.
Phil: - What's that then?
Suit: - I'll try to explain by example... Do you have goldfish at home?
Phil: - Er... Mmm . Well yeah, I do actually
Suit: - Well, it follows logically that you keep them in a bowl or in a pond. Which is it?
Phil: - They're in a pond!
Suit: - Well then it's reasonable to suppose that you have a large garden
Phil: - Too right - it's huge!
Suit: - Well then it's logical to assume that if you have a large garden then you have a large house?
Phil: - Bloody oath I've got a big house! Five bedrooms .....built it with me own hands!
Suit: - Well given that you've built a five-bedroom house it is logical to assume that you haven't built it just for yourself and that you are quite probably married?
Phil: - Mate, I'm married to the greatest sheila on earth and we've got three great kids.
Suit: - Well then it is logical to assume that you are sexually active with your wife on a regular basis?
Phil:- Yep! Four nights a week! At least!
Suit: - Well then it is logical to suggest that you do not masturbate very often?
Phil: - Me? You're kiddin me right? Never!
Suit: - Well there you are! That's logical science at work!
Phil: - How's that then?
Suit: - Well from finding out that you had goldfish, I've told you about your sex life!
Phil: - Awesome, mate!
Both leave the toilet and Phil returns to his mate.
Eric: - I see the suit was in there. Did you ask him what he does?
Phil: - Yep! He's a logical scientist!
Eric: - What's that then?
Phil: - Lemme explain. Do you have goldfish?
Eric: - Nope.
Phil: - Well then, you're a wanker.