Sunday 20 September 2009

Stand Out Songs By Year 1964 (SOSBY)

1963's out of the way so let's see what I can do with 1964, (link to my earlier post to find out what this is all about). I've got 123 tracks to choose from and I reckon 100 of them could make the shortlist. This is no longer self indulgence, it's a fool's errand.

1964

My shortened, short list of tracks for 1964 is:

  • Zombies - She's Not There
  • Shangri Las - Leader Of The Pack
  • Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
  • Dionne Warwick - Walk On By
  • Kinks - You Really Got Me
  • Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
  • Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman
  • Beatles - She Loves You
  • Beatles - A Hard Days Night
  • Supremes - Baby Love
  • Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire
  • Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving
  • Mary Wells - My Guy
  • Dusty Springfield - Anyone Who Had A Heart
  • Petula Clark  - Downtown
  • Cilla Black - You're My World
  • Rolling Stones - Little Red Rooster
  • Rolling Stones - It's All Over Now
  • Peter & Gordan - A World Without Love
  • Manfred Mann - Do Wah Diddy Diddy
  • Louis Armstrong - Hello Dolly
  • Hollies - Just One Look
I might as well throw a dart at this lot cause anyone of half a dozen could be the chosen one. To complicate matters more there are a number of personal favourites here which just makes selecting one all the more difficult. That said, the more I look at the list the more I realise that one track falls in to the 'classic' category so that track has to be my choice for 1964. It is: 
  • Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
"House of the Rising Sun" was a true trans-Atlantic hit, topping both the U.S. pop singles chart (when it became the first British Invasion number one unconnected with The Beatles[14]) and the UK pop singles chart; it was the group's breakthrough hit in both countries and became their signature song.[15] The song was also a hit in a number of other countries.

The Animals' rendition of the song is recognized as one of the classics of the British Invasion. Writer Lester Bangs labelled it "a brilliant rearrangement" and "a new standard rendition of an old standard composition."[16] It ranked number 122 on Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list. It is also one of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. The RIAA placed it as number 240 on their Songs of the Century list. In 1999 it received a Grammy Hall of Fame Award. And besides critical acclaim, it has long since become a staple of oldies and classic rock radio formats. A 2005 Five poll ranked it as Britons' fourth favourite number one song of all time.[9] (Info from Wikipedia).

As before, go to SOSBY 1964 for a full list of the most popular tracks of the year. If you don't agree with my choice then check the list and let me know what your choice would be.

Note: The release years I'm showing for tracks may differ from your records. Might be due to differing US, UK release dates or I might just be wrong.......

Posted via email from Pattaya Post

No comments:

Post a Comment