Hotel operators on Koh Chang have urged the government to improve transport infrastructure and build a water pipeline between the island and the mainland in order to boost tourism.
Koh Chang Hotel Association president Somkiat Swangswai said hotel operators are facing a shortage of water. The problem becomes particularly serious during the peak season. Somkiat urged the construction of a five-kilometre water pipeline from the mainland to the island
Tourism operators are also suffering from inadequate land transport infrastructure.
"If the government wants to have more tourists, we are calling on their agencies to solve these problems," Somkiat said. [via The Nation]
- Village Inn, pool party, 3.00pm, Saturday, March 22 (opposite Fire Station on Third Road)
- The manhunt for the killer of a Swedish tourist in Phuket Province has ended. The 31-year-old man, who is known by at least four names - Akradej, Chon, Saichon and Thatchai Tankae – turned himself in to a police station in Ranong Province after hiding in neighbouring Burma where his family members live. The suspect confessed to the murder, admitting he had tried to rape his 27-year-old victim, Hannah Charlotte Bankluns, but killed her with a knife when she resisted. [via Bangkok Post]
Ed. It all seems just a wee bit too easy. The authorities desperately need to close the case and the suspect comes back from Burma to surrender and admit his guilt knowing the least he will get is life. You can't make this shit up.
- A new paradise for golfers, the 27-hole Plantation Course at Siam Country Club is now open in Pattaya, featuring Asia's only triple green. The grand opening of the New Siam Country Club Pattaya Plantation is scheduled for May, said Phornthep Phornprapha, managing director of Siam Country Club Co. [via Bangkok Post]
A Briton has been arrested in Thailand for the fourth time on child sex abuse charges. John Maurice Praill, 77, was arrested at his home in the seaside town of Pattaya, accused of sexually abusing an eight-year-old boy while free on bail on a previous charge, said police colonel Khanisorn Yuwawithaya. [via Press Association]
Ed. With Governors and Police Generals being told to perform, Mr. Praill will hopefully find that his money won't buy him a fifth time, (if he's guilty, of course).
- English man jumps to death from View Talay 2 [via Pattaya City News]
- Two English men beaten up in Jomtien by 'fake' police officer [via Pattaya City News]
- If you missed Obama's race speech then do yourself a favour and go here to either view the video or read the text. Obama's not good, he's effing brilliant. Now if he can lead as well as he makes speeches, there just might be grounds for hope.
You might notice on the same web page Bush claiming 5 years of war have been worth it. Try selling that to the thousands of Americans and the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who've lost loved ones. Oh and let's not forget the trillion dollars down the pan while Haliburton and big oil grow ever richer.
- Convert Web Pages, Office Documents to MP3 Files Online
ReadThatWords.com is an online tool that can instantly convert Web Pages, Office documents and PDF files into MP3 files.
While there are other free tools that can convert text to MP3, ReadThatWords offers two distinct advantages:
2. You have an array of different voices to choose from - like a US male voice, UK female voice or a voice that has an Indian accent.
And if you are converting a large document to an MP3, you need not wait in the browser for conversion to finish - ReadThatWords.com will send you an email when the recording is done and MP3 is ready to download.
This service is primarily created for people with disabilities but others will find it useful as well. [via Digital Inspiration]
- Get full version of FairUse Wizard DVD ripper for free
FairUse Wizard has been one of our favourite DVD archiving applications for a long time. The application makes ripping DVDs almost as easy as ripping CDs. You just pop in a disc, decide where to save it, and FairUse Wizard will do all the heavy lifting, ripping and compressing your video using the DiVX, XViD, or H.264 codecs.
FairUse typically comes in two varieties. There's a free version that limits your target file size to 700MB. Long videos will look pretty good, but not as good as they could at that file size. Or you can shell out a few bucks for the full version which has no file size limits.
But for a limited time, the full version of FairUse Wizard 2.8 is available as a free download. The latest version of FairUse Wizard includes a handful of bug fixes and a few new features including pre-defined encoding profiles for iPhone, iPod Touch, Apple TV, Xbox 360, PS3, and other devices. FairUse Wizard 2.8 also adds the ability to auto-detect multiple episodes on DVDs with television shows. [via DownloadSquad]
- Jana Cova at Drunken Yeti
- Andie Valentino at Pinkems
- Why women live longer......
- Q. How do you know your mechanic has just had sex?
A. One of his fingers is clean.