Thursday 11 October 2007

Best Burapha School And Corporal Punishment

Like many other parents, we are pulling our two kids from this school due to their constant refusal to deal with the issue of Thai teachers hitting kids (I would point out the farang teachers do NOT do this to the best of my knowledge). It happens on a daily basis despite it now being illegal in Thai Schools, let alone International ones.

I demanded to see the principal with the teacher concerned present. This appointment was granted. When I arrived the principal was there but the teacher was not - she had sent a “representative” in her place. I asked the principal what action would be taken against the teacher and he replied “there would be none as in his view hitting kids was OK”!!!?? I pointed out that not only was it illegal now in Thailand but that on TWO different occasions we had been given guarantees that it would not occur. I told him the meeting was over and he just laughed at me.

I would like to finish by saying that I DO understand that some parents are OK with this kind of behaviour and I am not for one minute trying to preach to them. My personal view is that it is unacceptable, little more that institutional bullying. The point is that a guarantee should be exactly that - not some kind of mealy mouthed promise to gain entrants!

If you are considering sending your children to Best Burapha School Pattaya you should be aware of their breaches of policy regardless of your attitude to smacking kids. [via Pattaya News]

Ed. I decided to open with this story because it touched a nerve with me and many mongers have children to educate. Now many working class baby boomers will remember all too well that to go home and tell your father you'd been punished at school would more often than not get you another crack for your troubles. That was then and this is now and here we are talking about kids as young as 3, not teenagers. My son went to Best and several times when I went to collect him he was sitting outside the classroom. He told me me he'd been sent outside for being naughty. It became more and more difficult to get him to go to school and he was always coming up with excuses as to why he shouldn't go. Eventually, he confessed that his teacher was hitting him and other children before sending them out of the classroom. I thought how much trouble can a 3 year old be to deserve this type of punishment. I took it to be an incompetent teacher and for this and several other reasons, I took my son out of the school. Let's just say that 5 years on, it was one of the better decisions I've made in that minefield known as parenting.

 

Sierra Tangos

 

  • Ramadan will finish any day now in the Muslim world so Pattaya could well get a bit busier over the next week with expats taking advantage of the Eid Holiday to fit in a bit of mongering

 

  • The Deputy Mayor of Pattaya City announced the coming Loy Krathong Festival 2007 will be on the night of 24 November.

 

  • One of the most successful gay pride events in Asia, the Pattaya Gay Festival, will be more fantastic in 2007. Gays, Lesbians Ladyboys and Katoeys will give the best of themselves to make this party a wonderful and festive event. The official event period will be from the 29 November until the 2 December 2007. [via Michael Comglas] Ed. There's no mention of a procession so the main public event appears to be a Christmas Cracker Street Party in Pattayaland Soi 3 on December 2.

 

  • Taboo, Soi 16 party on Friday, Oct 12.  Free food and lots of cold booze and great girls. Happy hour 8-10, all house spirits and draught beer 50bht.

 

  • Eagle Bar on Soi 7 is serving some of the cheapest beer in town


  • Thai prosecutors will fly to the UK on Friday with the aim of bringing back ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Potjaman to face corruption charges. The prosecuting team previously met with Udom Fuangfung of the Assets Scrutiny Committee, who stressed that they would need cooperation from British authorities and to find necessary evidence in order to succeed in bringing the pair home. [via BangkokRecorder]

 

 

 

  •  Male and Female Prayers.

Female Prayer

Before I lay me down to sleep,

I pray for a man, who's not a creep,

One who's handsome, smart and strong

One who loves to listen long,

One who thinks before he speaks,

One who'll call, not wait for weeks.

I pray he's gainfully employed,

When I spend his cash, won't be annoyed.

Pulls out my chair and opens my door,

Massages my back and begs to do more.

Oh! Send me a man who'll make love to my mind,

Knows what to answer to "how big is my behind?"

I pray that this man will love me to no end,

And always be my very best friend.

Amen.

Male Prayer

I pray for a deaf-mute nymphomaniac with huge boobs

who owns a liquor store and a fishing boat. This

doesn't rhyme but I don't give a shit.

Amen.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. In June 2010 we had to confront a female teacher here who had hit our 6 year old on the hand.

    When confronted she got angry insisting she had the right to do this.

    To his credit the schools principal told her straight that it was against the law. However when we asked for her dismissal they refused but gave assurances it would not happen again. We said we would take the matter to court and at this point the school offered us money. That just made my wife furious. The teacher went to court and was fined 3 months pay but no further action was taken by the school despite the fact that the Ministry of Education policy states clearly the teacher should be dismissed.

    It is alarming that five years after it was made illegal teachers still dont know the law and even more alarming that the schools dont tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four years down the line and it is still happening. If parents accept it then fair enough but it is very worrying that this school is quite happy to employ criminals to teach kids. Make no bones about it, that is what they are! If you commit a criminal offence you are a criminal and no parent should want their kids to be taught by people with little or no respect for the law.

    ReplyDelete