The firework event Sunday evening at Bali Hai started with 150 fireworks creating figures of eight, zeros and a heart patterns to celebrate the 80th birthday of His Majesty the King. Firework No. 151, was the one scheduled to set a world record by climbing 800 meters before activating. Unfortunately, it climbed only 130 meters before falling back into the sea and exploding. The vibration from the explosion caused the roof of the Sea Rescue building to collapse. The cost of the damage was set at 20,000 baht. Luckily, nobody was injured. Mr. Shikashi revealed that the gunpowder was more than likely damp from the 135cm firework being located too close to the sea and this had led to rocket not reaching the expected height. [via Pattaya Daily News]
Khun Somporn, the Managing Director of Ripleys: Believe it or Not! confirmed the firework measuring 1.3 meters in diameter did launch and although it did not produce the desired effect, the World Record had been achieved. [via Pattaya City News] Ed. Norris must be turning !!!!!!
- A public hearing was held today at City Hall for the Ocean 1 Tower which is an ambitious 91 floor condominium complex comprising 611 units and a shopping plaza, 200 meters from Jomtien Beach. If the results of the public hearing are positive then construction will commence at the end of this year. A ruling should be made later this month.
- I went to check out Villa Supermarket this morning and as I parked, this Thai guy rushed up and asked me for 20Baht. I told him to do one as it looked to me like he was on the make. He ran off across the car park to a uniformed lady handing out parking tickets and got me a ticket. When I left the supermarket 57mins later with a stamped parking ticket, the same guy asks for 20Baht. On the reverse of the ticket it clearly states in Thai and English that customers can park free for 2 hours subject to a stamped parking ticket. I pointed this out to him and then drove off to the usual refrain of "falang key nuk". Felt good, felt really good.
- Villa Supermarket is nice and compact with produce clearly displayed. I have to say I didn't notice too many brands that aren't already available in other supermarkets in town. This used to be Villa's edge over the other supermarkets but I'm not sure it's still there. It has an extensive magazine section and their 24 hour cafe was doing a brisk trade. Not sure that Villa's very kid friendly so the bigger supermarkets will probably retain the family expedition type business
- eBay is another company that’s created a new tool on Adobe AIR, and will be announcing it at the Adobe MAX event this week. The new product is called eBay Desktop and it of course runs both online and offline. Previously referred to by the code name
“eBay Disruptive Innovation program,” its private beta launched earlier this summer, in June. eBay Desktop lets you personalize your eBay tools for your own history, accounts, and searches. From this desktop application you can manage multiple listings, search for items, and access your search history. Being wrapped up in this desktop application, it’s easier to navigate these multiple aspects of your eBay activity, and is actually a great tool for those eBay power users (or just the auction addicts). There are several tools and widgets that developers create to offer you updates on eBay auctions, personalized feeds for searching eBay listings, etc. But this desktop application from eBay is a very inclusive tool for users.
eBay has also announced its intention to soon launch a few more products, including Next Gen My eBay for streamlined, customized eBay pages, eBay Marketplace for Facebook applications, and eBay to Go, which is a listings widget for your personal website or blog. [via Mashable]
- This is gonna make me a million - I've obtained the AdultSheep Finder franchise rights for Hull.........
- A newly married man asked his wife, "Would you have married me if m y father hadn't left me a fortune?" "Honey," the woman replied sweetly, "I'd have married you NO M ATTER WHO LEFT YOU A FORTUNE"
- A wife asked her husband: "What do you like most in me my pretty face or my beautiful body?" He looked at her from head to toe and replied: "I like your sense of humor
- TV Schedule Of Major Sporting Events - link to the TV schedule for major sporting events such as the IRB Rugby World Cup, English Premier League, F1 Grand Prix, Cricket and Euro 2008 qualifiers.